Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images
- Mwenso & the Shakes , “No Regrets”
- Little Richard, “(There Will Be) Peace In the Valley (For Me)”
- Elvis Presley, “Hound Dog”
- Big Mama Thornton, “Hound Dog”
- Johnny Mathis, “Deep River”
Artist and educator Michael Mwenso returns for another installment of Message Music, a series in which we explore the deeper meaning of music that matters to us. In honor of Pride month, Mwenso chose the music of three artists who expressed their individuality, gender and sexual identities with freedom. “They had no fear to be who they were, to dress how they wanted to be, to express themselves,” he says.
We’re honoring those who have carried themselves with strength, dignity and pride for who they are with music by rock ‘n’ roll icon and pioneer, Little Richard, and the artist who first performed one of Elvis’ biggest hits — Big Mama Thornton.